Opel

  The company Opel - the German car manufacturer, part of the concern General Motors and producing cars, minivans and minibuses. The headquarters is located in Rüsselsheim, Germany.

  By itself, the Opel company was founded in 1862 by Adam Opel (Adam Opel) and specialized in the production of hats. Then he added in its assortment of sewing machines, and a little later - in 1884 - bikes. But the first car released by the company, Adam Opel never saw. He died, and his five sons inherited the firm.

  It was bought by new owners in Lutzman factory and collected her first Lutzman Opel. The car turned out unpretentious, and has not brought tangible profits. Then in 1902, the Opel brothers acquired using French technology have built a new model of Opel Darrak, ensure the company's financial success. Starts mass production. One of the models produced Doktorwagen gets the nickname for his popularity among rural physicians and other members of the middle class.

  In 1911, the factory fire occurs, and because of this, the company is forced to recover equipment from scratch. As a result, it becomes an advantage, as new hardware, including a first conveyor in Europe, Opel allows significantly outperform competitors. Since 1913 started production of trucks. In 1916, there is a prototype vehicle with six-cylinder engine.

  But, like many of their colleagues in the automotive workshop in Germany, the company plans to change the First World War. Occurred after the completion of the devastation, coupled with inflation lead to the fact that Opel is on the brink of ruin. Position saved the American automobile concern General Motors, has long been watching the development of the largest German carmaker.

  Group buys 80% stake in 1929, and the remaining 20%, and thus, Opel is transformed into a branch of the American auto giant in two years. In parallel, the firm establishes its own bank and insurance company. Among the lineup of the period it is worth noting the model Olympia, Kadett, Admiral and Kapitan, many of them have enjoyed success with the Nazi elite. Olympia is created in honor of the 1936 Berlin Olympics. In 1936 the company - officially Europe's largest automaker. But at the same time a year later the company refuses laurels largest bicycle manufacturer in the world, turning the release NSU models.

  But already on the threshold of a new world war, and by the end of 1940 production of cars stops all wartime. Nazi Germany nationalizing Opel, and the company becomes public. But as you know, in the end, the military successes of Germany come to naught, and in 1944, the bombing destroyed the plants in Rüsselsheim and Brandenburg. In 1945, during the reparations to the Soviet Union dismantles the piece of equipment, and it is then used in the production of domestic cars.

  After the war, Opel employees with truly German thoroughness and tenacity restore factory in Rüsselsheim, and the company first reduced its turnover, and then exceed it. With the conveyor go upgraded model Olympia, Kadett, truck Blitz. In 1962 there is another factory in Bochum and in 1966 -ispytatelny landfill in Dudenhoffene and plant components in Kaiserslautern.

  In 1967 Commodore model appears, followed by a sports car Manta, Senator and Monza from the main segment and small Corsa.

  

  

  

  So come eighties. This epoch is marked for Opel turning to ecology. It all starts with environmentally friendly water-based paints. For this innovation followed by non-asbestos clutch plates. In 1986 it appears to Opel Omega, whose engines in a variety of trim levels are extremely low polluting characteristics. He becomes the "Car of the Year 1987".

  The nineties are the company time processing and extended the entire lineup.

  Kadett model is rooted in the past, and the company's flagship becomes Opel Astra. Followed in 1994 and 1997 respectively are compact model Tigra and multi-seat wagon Sintra. In 1992 it opened a plant in Eisenach, and in 1993 - Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim the same. This center becomes a key in the management of General Motors outside of North America. In 1995 it opened the first among German carmakers assembly plant in Poland.

  The new millennium for the company as always begins with modernization. Every six months, there is a completely new or modified model. Continue environmental surveys, in particular it is worth mentioning the Zafira model, for which are different types of engines - with hydrogen and natural gas. The integrated high-tech vehicles, including mobile telecommunications, and improved navigation system.


Like a page? Share in the social. networks:

Time Online